We just finished watching episode 1 of El Internado in Spanish 3. Here is the lesson plan/step by step process that I did: (my classes are 80 minutes, every other day)
- Introduce core vocabulary for Episode 1. CLICK HERE for the structures. I used two story scripts to help reinforce the structures. STORY SCRIPT 1 | STORY SCRIPT 2 I used TPR, PQA, circling, gestures, actors, etc. to teach the words. This lasted for about 2 weeks (or until the structures were acquired).
- I then started to introduce the characters. First I showed the Internado Trailer as an introduction to the show. I then used this presentation to talk about who is who. This lasted about one class period.
- After about 2 weeks, we were ready to start watching the first episode. I showed the first graphic novel and we read it together. I then showed the first 15 minutes of the episode. During the episode I paused it many times and clarified meaning and checked for comprehension. The graphic novels really help! We then read and completed this reading from Mike Peto as much as we could.
- The next class, we read the second graphic novel and watched the next 15-20 minutes of the episode (right after Hector delivers his first lesson to his class). We then continued the reading. We played a game of Kahoot and a game of Plickers.
- The next class, I started by showing these two photos.
I gave them 2 minutes to write as much as they could about each scene. They shared their quick writings and we talked about the photos. We then read the third graphic novel, watched that part, and read the fourth graphic novel. We also continued completing the reading.
- After about 3 weeks, we finished the first episode. I gave them this comic strip and asked them to write quotations and captions in Spanish.
- We then played Quien lo dijo and they wrote the answer on a little white board.
Going slow is extremely important with El Internado. While watching the episode, I paused it frequently to talk about what is going on. Watching 15 minutes of the episode turned in to almost 45 minutes total class time. A few things that are essential for comprehension: the graphic novels, the reading, and pausing and discussing.
After we finish episode 2 in January, I will post what I did.